To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday through Friday. 

Is the community center available to rent for events?

Yes. You may call us at (912) 367-2202 or stop by City Hall to inquire about renting the room for your next special event. 


What time is my hearing?

The time, date and location of the hearing should be listed on your citation. If you need further assistance please call (912) 367-2202.

What if I need special assistance?

If you do not understand the english language please let us know prior to your court date. Si no entiende el idioma inglés, informe a la ciudad antes de su día en el tribunal. llame al secretario de la corte o acuda al ayuntamiento. If you are disabled and require assistance from the court please notify us in advance at (912) 367-2202 so that we may better assist you. 

What should I do if I cannot appear at my hearing?

If you are not able to appear in court, contact the court clerk at least 5 business days before your scheduled hearing at (912) 367-2202. If you do not appear at your hearing and fail to notify the court, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and your driver's license may be suspended. If your citation does not require a mandatory court appearance, you can avoid appearing in court by paying the fine prior to your court date. If you have questions please call (912) 367-2202. Be advised: No case shall be postponed or removed from the calendar except by the Judge. 

I don't have a babysitter. May I bring my child to court?

Please do not bring children to court unless the court has ordered them to be present. Many topics discussed in the courtroom are not appropriate for children and may be hurtful or confusing. Children could also become disruptive during court proceedings. Please arrange for a friend or relative to watch your child(ren) while you are in court.

What is the amount of my fine?

Please navigate to the Bond Schedule page. If you have questions, you may call us at (912) 367-2202.

Is my citation a mandatory court appearance?

Please navigate to the Bond Schedule page of this website. You may download a list of offenses which will show which offenses require a mandatory appearance in court. If you need assistance please call the court at (912) 367-2202.

Where can I pay my traffic citation?

You may pay online at www.grahampayments.com or mail payment to: 9659 Golden Isle W. Graham, GA 31513 (check payable to Graham Police Department) or you may pay in person, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30AM and 4:30PM at 9659 Golden Isle W. Graham, GA 31513. You can also pay by phone at 1-844-847-1744.

How can I contact my Probation Officer?

Graham Municipal Court contracts with Middle Georgia Probation for probation services. You may reach them at (912) 379-1002 or visit https://middlegeorgiaprobation.com/ for more information about Probation Services.

How do I obtain an attorney if I cannot afford one?

Everyone charged with a crime or criminal case has the right to have an attorney appointed if he or she cannot afford an attorney. Before an attorney can be appointed, the court must determine if you qualify for an appointed attorney by having you complete a financial assessment and affidavit. There is a $50.00 application fee for indigent defense representation unless waived by the court. Click here for the Financial Affidavit. For more information please call (912) 367-2202.

What does my signature on the bottom of the citation mean?

Your signature on the bottom of the citation is not an admission of guilt. It means that you know that you received a copy of the citation and that you will either pay the fine or appear in court on the date indicated. Refusing to sign the citation may result in the officer bringing you to the traffic violations bureau to post bond per OCGA 40-13-2.1.

Will you report my citation to my insurance company?

Courts do not report any violation to your insurance company. Your insurance company has the right to review your driving record and can see that you were issued a citation. If your insurance company reviews your driving history, and sees any traffic violations on it, including any violations to which you entered a nolo plea, the company will decide how the violation(s) affects your policy, and your rates could increase. Courts are not involved with this process at all.

How do I clear a license suspension for failure to appear?

You will first have to pay your fine at the City of Graham Court Clerk’s Office. Once the fine has been paid, you will obtain, from the court clerk’s office and submit to the Department of Driver Services, a release from (DPS912) to clear your license. Paying the fine DOES NOT CLEAR YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE with the Department of Driver Services. Contact the Department of Driver Services for reinstatement information. Their website is www.dds.ga.gov and their Phone number is: 678-413-8400. Reinstatements may be made via the DDS Website, by mail, and in person. DDS charges a reinstatement fee. 

If I am found guilty at trial, can I appeal?

Yes. You have the right to appeal. If you are appealing a judgment in a case involving a traffic violation, the appeal is governed by O.C.G.A. § 40-13-28. If you are appealing a judgment involving a violation of a City Ordinance, the appeal is by petition for a Writ of Certiorari to the Superior Court, pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 5-4-3, et. seq. You should carefully review, and be aware of, all legal requirements in pursuing any appeal.

How do I request a reduction of speed for my speeding charge?

You may download and print a waiver and plea of guilty to a lesser charge form by clicking here. The form must be notarized and returned to the Clerk of Court with full fine payment prior to the scheduled court date. In misdemeanor, traffic and municipal ordinance cases, upon the request of a defendant who has made, in writing, a knowing, intelligent and voluntary waiver of his right to be present, the court may accept a plea of guilty or nolo contendere in absentia.


What options are available for a young person who received a traffic citation?

A driver between the ages of 15 and 16 years old will be referred to the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice for further action. Drivers between the ages of 17 and 21 years of age may elect to attend a driver safety class. Successful completion of the class may result in dismissal of the charges. For a list of driver safety classes click here. For PRIDE Class in Appling County click here

My loved one was arrested by Graham Police. Where is he/she and how can I bail him/her out of jail?

For more information on release procedures please click here.

Do I have a right to a jury trial for a traffic citation?

Yes. However, the Graham Municipal Court does not conduct jury trials so your case will have to be transferred to the Appling County State Court. The decision to transfer your case to a state court is an important decision based on many factors. It could be advantageous to transfer your case to the county, however, it could also be a big mistake and result in a much harsher sentence in your case. The decision to bind-over or transfer a case should be made carefully and only after consulting with an experienced criminal defense lawyer who specializes in this area. 

How do I obtain a copy of the court hearing?

All Municipal Court hearings are recorded and stored at City Hall for a minimum of two years from the date of hearing. Copies of such recordings are available through a public records request to the Court Clerk. 

Fire Department

How Do I Volunteer with the Fire Department?

If you are interested in volunteering with the Fire Department, please contact Mr. Earl Baucom at (912) 367-2202.

How often do volunteers meet?

Fire Department members drill on the first and third Thursday of every month at 7pm.

What services does the Graham Fire Department provide?

The Graham Fire Department provides fire and emergency services for the City of Graham and the surrounding community. Emergency Medical Services and other emergency services are also provided by the Appling Ambulance Service and the Appling Emergency Management Agency. 

Police Department

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

You may visit City Hall at 9659 Golden Isle W. Graham, GA 31513 between the hours of 8:30AM and 4:30PM Monday through Friday. If you are from out of town you may call us at (912) 367-2202. There is a $5.00 charge for all copies of police reports. Minor traffic accident reports may be purchased online through www.buycrash.com The Georgia State Patrol investigates all serious (injury/fatality) traffic accidents that occur within the City of Graham. Please contact the State Patrol at (912) 557-7778 for copies of those reports. The Appling County Sheriff's Office also has law enforcement jurisdiction in our city. If a Sheriff's Deputy took the report, it may be obtained by calling (912) 367-8120.

How can I report crime, speeding, or other problems in my neighborhood?

If the problem is an emergency, please call 911. Otherwise, you may report any non-emergency to the police department 24/7, 365 days per year by calling (912) 367-8111.

How do I file a complaint or commend a Police Officer?

We are interested to know if you are dissatisfied with the level of service we have provided. We strive to maintain a high level of professionalism at all times and we take your concerns very seriously. We will investigate your complaint and notify you of the outcome if you provide us with contact information. To file a formal complaint please stop by City Hall, call us at (912) 367-6900, or you may e-mail the Chief. You do not have to provide your name. To commend an Officer you may follow the same process. You may also share your feedback with us through our community survey by clicking here. A complaint regarding the validity of a traffic violation should be directed to the Municipal Court Judge for adjudication. A complaint regarding a Sheriff's Deputy, State Trooper, Game Warden, or other Federal, State, or local law enforcement official acting within the boundaries of the City of Graham, should be directed to their respective agencies.

How do I apply for employment with the Police Department?

To apply online click here. You may also send us a complete resume by e-mail or fax at (912) 367-5000. Click here for Sergeant position description. Click here for Police Officer position description. Volunteer positions are also available for those interested in helping out. We also offer ride-alongs to residents of Graham, Police applicants, and those enrolled in Georgia Law Enforcement Basic Mandate School. A waiver of liability form is required.

How do I join a Neighborhood Watch?

For more information on participating in our Neighborhood Watch program, please call (912) 367-6900 or email the Chief.
Click here for more information.

Where can I pay my traffic citation?

You may pay online at www.grahampayments.com or mail payment to: 9659 Golden Isle W. Graham, GA 31513 (check payable to Graham Police Department) or you may pay in person, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30AM and 4:30PM at 9659 Golden Isle W. Graham, GA 31513. You can also pay by phone at 1-844-847-1744. For the fine amount please click here.

Does the police department provide the public with data regarding how many citations are issued each month?

The Graham Police Department will publish traffic stop data collection information on this website each month. This data includes information on number of traffic stops, warnings and citations issued, speeding citations, and demographic of violators. To view the data please click on the data collection link to the left.

What is the police department's policy on biased-based policing and excessive force?

The Graham Police Department prohibits biased-based policing and the use of excessive force by our Police Officers. To review our biased-based policing policy please click here. The Police Department utilizes body and vehicle cameras to record police-citizen interactions. Use of force incidents that result in death or serious bodily injury are referred to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Why was I issued a citation and not a warning?

Law Enforcement Officers have a difficult job. One responsibility of a Police Officer is to detect unsafe driving on Georgia roadways. Traffic Accidents take far too many lives. In 2015, 1,427 people were killed on Georgia roadways. Traffic Enforcement helps to reduce traffic accidents and fatalities. It also facilitates the orderly flow of traffic through the city and frequently results in the arrest of wanted criminals, impaired drivers, and drivers transporting illegal drugs, guns, etc. Our Officers prefer to issue verbal warnings when appropriate and our enforcement statistics clearly reflect that. However, our Officers will cite drivers who commit dangerous traffic violations and whose driving behavior indicates a clear disregard of the law. To avoid a citation please ensure you are following the traffic laws. To review the Code of Georgia click here. 

Is the police department involved in community activities?

Absolutely! We are fully invested in our community and wish to remain engaged with all of our citizens. We are available to talk at your next meeting. We attend community functions as often as possible. We take part in charity programs and events. During the holidays you just might find us delivering gifts to those in need. We are committed to our community!

Is it against the law to film the police?

As long as you are not interfering with a law enforcement officer in the performance of their duties and you are in a public place, on your own property, or on private property with permission from the owner, you may film the police in the performance of their duties. 

What unique value does the police department bring to the community?

The Graham Police Department provides our community with increased law enforcement visibility. Marked patrol cars in our city serves as a deterrent to crime. Our own police force allows us to respond quickly to emergencies when a Deputy could be far off in another area of the county. Our Officers develop personal relationships with our residents and tailor services to meet your specific needs and the needs of our community at large. Local community control means we answer to our city residents. The Sheriff, on the other hand, is elected to serve the entire county and ultimately answers to all voters in the county. We perform these services for the citizens of Graham in a cost effective manner that reduces crime and increases public safety.

Are police required to obey traffic laws also?

Georgia law provides for certain exemptions from traffic laws for authorized emergency vehicles under certain circumstances (See OCGA 40-6-6). If you observe an Officer disobey traffic laws please understand that the Police Officer might be responding to an emergency situation or is in pursuit of a suspected violator of the law. Officers must always practice due regard for the safety of the public. If you have a concern about a Graham Police Officer's driving, you may contact us at (912) 367-6900 to discuss the matter or you may follow our complaint procedures as listed above.

Are safety checkpoints legal & do I have to comply with the Officer's requests?

Yes. Both the United States Supreme Court & the Supreme Court of Georgia have upheld the Constitutionality of Safety Checkpoints. (See City of Indianapolis v. Edmond, 531 U. S. 32 (2000) and Michigan Dep't of State Police v. Sitz, 496 U. S. 444 (1990). Failure to comply with the Officer's lawful requests could result in arrest for Obstruction under OCGA 16-10-24(a). All Safety Checkpoints are supervised by the Chief of Police; All passing vehicles are checked; Police uniforms, lights, and signs are clearly displayed; Published in advance on police social media website; Minimal delay to motorists unless a violation is observed by law enforcement.

What is a Graham Police Officer's authority and Jurisdiction?

A City of Graham Police Officer is a sworn Peace Officer with full powers of arrest. Peace Officers may serve arrest warrants anywhere in the State of Georgia and enforce the law within the geographical boundaries of the City of Graham. Outside the boundaries of the City, an Officer could be granted arrest powers through mutual aid agreements during emergencies, deputization, or by virtue of citizen's arrest law (OCGA 17-4-60). Also, under the "hot pursuit doctrine" an Officer who witnesses a violation in his/her jurisdiction, may immediately pursue the violator outside their jurisdiction to affect an arrest.

My loved one was arrested by Graham Police. Where is he/she and how can I bail him/her out of jail?

For more information on release procedures please click here.

Do you provide criminal history or fingerprint services?

The Graham Police Department can provide criminal history information as permitted by law. The fee for this service is $20.00 per request. An online search for felony records is available for a fee through Georgia Felon Search We do not provide fingerprinting services. 

Bond Procedures

How do I retrieve a vehicle or property after an arrest?

Officer's will make a good faith effort to release motor vehicles to a person designated by the vehicle owner. If this is not possible, the vehicle will be towed to a local towing lot by a local vendor. All costs associated with towing and storage of a vehicle will be the responsibility of the vehicle's owner and paid directly to the towing vendor. Personal property will either be transported with the arrestee or will remain with the vehicle. Property deemed as evidence will be retained by the Graham Police Department pending court proceedings. For more information call Graham Police at (912) 367-8111.

What happens if I can not post bond?

As soon as is reasonably practicable following any arrest but no later than forty eight (48) hours if the arrest was without a warrant, or seventy two (72) hours following an arrest with a warrant, unless the accused has made bond in the meantime, the arresting officer or other law enforcement officer having custody of the accused shall present the accused in person before a municipal judge or other judicial officer for first appearance. The initial appearance hearing may be by telephone or video conferencing at the discretion of the municipal court judge. 

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office at 912-367-2202 to discuss this matter further.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the Appling County Board of Elections and held at 9659 Golden Isle W. Graham, GA 31513.